Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Art tied in with Alzheimers/Dementia

Since I have settled into making so many small atc type cards. I had an idea. Many of you know that I look after my mam who is in the care home with Alzheimers dementia. She is later stage and struggles with being able to do anything but I did notice she loves pictures of babies and small animals. She talks to them. Also she enjoys reading the odd word (although cant read much more than a simple word at a time. ) She loves sparkle and pretty lights (filled her room with them ) and she loves tactile things. I think many sufferers are the same and when you can no longer do simple things, like even a small jigsaw. What do you do with yourself ?

So I put these thoughts together and came up with something I can do which will help. I am going to start creating art cards for dementia. I will call them Visual and tactile cards.   VATC
My intention is to make sets of 20 and see how they are received and if they are helpful. Now all I need is ideas and lots of vintage ideas lol.


This is my first one



`

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea June. Hope they all well received. I made lots of Twiddle muffs and they went down really well. Will see if Imhave some ideas for the cards. One ide could be to use a pack of cards with two stuck together
    Leave one side with the numbers and images and decorate the other side
    Plenty of packs of cards fin pound shops
    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie, yes that's a great idea. I bet they would like that.
      Hugs June x

      Delete
  3. What a great idea I hope they enjoy using them :-)

    Have you heard of "twiddle muffs"? Apparently they are good for people with this condition too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have made them before too Alison. Mam has one but she rarely uses it. Thanks so much my friend I appreciate all the help I can get. x

      Delete
  4. A lovely VATC and a brilliant idea.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. You are so lovely x

      Delete
  5. I think this is a great idea June!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete